Promises are meant to be broken and so are diets. With every New Year we commit to a year of proper eating, exercise and a healthy lifestyle. But it doesn’t take even a day to break the rules as we comfortably switch over to a routine of breakfast-lunch-dinner of junk food. No wonder McDonald’s, Pizza Hut and Burger King are doing great business!
So what exactly is junk food?? How can you tell that you’re eating junk food? Junk food are snacks that score very little on nutritional value but are high on sugars, saturated fat and salt. In short, high-calorie, low-nutrient food is junk food. A few good examples of junk food would be – takeout/takeaway preheated or precooked ingredients sold in fast food restaurants, burgers, french fries, sodas, colas, fish and chips, deep fried food, pizzas, sandwiches, etc.
Very few people are aware of the serious implications of junk food on our life. The cause, effect and treatment remain unknown resulting in severely obese children, clogged arteries, diabetes, cholesterol and many more. Think about it. If you or your child’s ideal day is as follows, then it spells BIG TROUBLE ahead:
- Your daily breakfast comprises of sugary-starchy food, fried snacks and colas
- Your afternoon meal is a run at nearest fast food restaurant for a hearty meal of burgers, pizzas, fries and a soft drink
- You finish off your night meal with a gorgeous serving of pizza, high in fat and sugar based drinks.
- More than water and juices, you prefer artificially flavored drinks that contain very little fruit juice content
If you have tick marked any of the above options, then let’s look at what symptoms and diseases you could potentially be suffering from:
- Eating an abundance of junk food could cause you to become hyperactive and also severely obese.
- Heart attacks and hypertension are a result of increased sodium intake
- Junk food contain a lot of sugar and salt and that’s why they are so tasty. Therefore they should be eaten in moderation and balanced with a healthy diet.
- Junk food also concludes in an obesity epidemic as regular consumption of convenience food causes one to gain weight. As easy as it is to gain weight, it is equally harder to lose it.
- Eating frequent fast food meals also aggravates the risk of developing insulin resistance, thus resulting in a lifetime, serious disease of diabetes.
- Increased salt and oil intake from fast food causes clogged arteries, heart strokes and other cardiovascular diseases.
If you love yourself to death but don’t want be dead so early, then invest in some healthy living, foods and exercise that are helpful to your body. Eating junk food once in a while is okay, but not often to increase the risk of diseases.