Fruits promote good health, but people don’t often get enough servings of it. One such fruit is grapefruit which is a natural healer and has the power to keep away several diseases. Because it grows in clusters, grapefruit is named after grapes. Grapefruit is called as citrus paradisi in Latin, which means the ‘citrus from paradise’.
One big advantage of grapefruit is that it aids in weight loss. Drinking three glasses of grapefruit juice a day burns calories in the body. Grapefruit resembles orange in appearance, but it is a bit larger in size. It belongs to the citrus family with similar red/yellow flesh. It tastes sour and bitter, but it is endowed with lots of health benefits.
Checkout a few health benefits of grapefruit:
- Because of acidic taste, grapefruit stimulates alkaline reaction after consumption. This reaction helps in digestion as well treats acidity.
- Grapefruit is rich in Vitamin C, which keeps the elasticity of the arteries as well as strengthens them. It also contains ‘Pectin’ that reduces the accumulation of arterial deposits.
- Eating grapefruit in your diet helps strengthen the immune system.
- It is recommended to diabetics because grapefruit brings down blood sugar level in the body.
- Consuming grapefruit before sleep reduces symptoms of insomnia.
- Grapefruit, if eaten during pregnancy can prevent water retention in the body as well reduce foot swelling.
- One big benefit is that grapefruit contains fat-burning enzymes, which help in weight loss. Also, it prevents accumulation of starch and sugars in the body.
- Eat grapefruit to prevent a sore throat
- Above all, grapefruit has antioxidant properties, which prevent cancer.
Image Credit: Creativecommons/Raeky